A feature that has recently been added onto the list of OneDrive options is the possibility to request files from other users. With this feature you can choose a folder where others can upload files using a link that is sent to them. The person that the link is sent to is not able to see any of the content of the folder, edit, delete, or download any files keeping other documents private and secure.
This is a fantastic alternative to using WeTransfer as the request for files is secure and only the person intended to receive the files can open them.
The request files option is only available within OneDrive for work and school accounts, if you cannot see this option then you may have to request this to be enabled by your admin user.
How to Request Files
1. In your OneDrive, select a folder where you want the files to be uploaded, and then select Request files at the top of the screen.
2. This will then open a pop-up box. Under What files are you requesting, enter a description for the files you are requesting rom another person. The person will see this description when they get the file request email through.
3. Select Next.
4. You can select Copy link to copy the request link which you can then send directly to the person you are requesting the files from. Alternatively, you can enter the email address or addresses of the people you want to request files from. You can also type a message that will be included in the email that OneDrive sends to them.
5. Select Done.
You’ll receive a notification email whenever someone uploads files to your file request folder.
If you want to edit the descriptive name of the file request, select the folder and select Request files again, then change the name. The people you sent the request to will see the new name when they upload files.
Getting A File Request
Anyone with the link will be able to upload files to the request. However, they aren’t able to see or edit other contents in the folder or see who else is able to upload files.
When recipients select the link, they’ll see:
1. Click Select files, browse to the appropriate folder, and select the file being requested. If you need to add additional files, select Add more files.
2. When you’ve selected all the requested files, select Upload.
3. Recipients will get another notification once their files have been successfully uploaded.
Stop Requesting Files
You can stop requesting files by deleting the file request link once you are done receiving files from others. Once you’ve deleted the link, people with the link won’t be able to upload files to that folder anymore.
1. In OneDrive, select the file request folder.
2. Select the ellipsis (…).
3. Select Manage Access.
4. Select the ellipsis (…) beside the request link in the Links Giving Access section.
5. Select x next to the link.
6. Select Delete link.
The link deletion cannot be undone. If you need to start collecting files in this folder again, create a new file request on the folder and send your recipients a new link or email invitation.